I’ve been watching foxes in my garden since they were cubs, and was disturbed to find one of them suffering from sarcoptic mange.
Sarcoptic mange is a persistent skin infection caused by a parasitic mite. It’s quite easy to treat but if left untreated the fox will most likely die within 4-6 months.
I contacted South Manchester Wildlife Rescue who suggested we trap the fox so they could give it treatment. The trap was set on Boxing Day.
After saving a neighbour’s cat from the trap that evening, I was woken up at 6am by the sound of yelping. The fox had taken the bait!
Martin from SMWildlife Rescue came to collect the fox and after a month of treatment will release him back into my garden.
Hopefully he’ll make a full recovery. I’ll let you know how he gets on.
If you see any other foxes with mange please get in touch or contact Martin direct at South Manchester Wildlife Rescue. With our U-Decide grant we can afford to make a donation towards the cost of treatment.